1. The Ministry of Labor, Employment, and Social Security (Ministry) has published a notice in Nepal Gazette on Nov.12, 2018 (2075-07-26) (“Gazette Notice“) under Section 19 of the Social Security Act, 2017 (2074) (Social Security Act).
2. Section 19 of the Social Security Act requires the Ministry to specify the employer operating industries, service, business or transaction of specified nature and sector to be enrolled with the Social Security Fund (“SSF“). The timeline should also be specified in such gazette notice as provided in Section 20 of the Social Security Act.
3. The Gazette Notice however, does not specify the sector or nature of industry, business, service or transaction subject to the enrollment with SSF. It seems that all the employers are required to be registered with the SSF as per the Gazette Notice (However, this will be reconfirmed under the Social Security Regulations, 2018 (2075) which has recently been approved by the Government of Nepal and yet to be made public).
4. The Gazette Notice has simply provided the timeline for the employer to be enrolled with SSF. The timeline varies depending upon the geographical location. Main obligations of employers under the Gazette Notice is (a) to be enrolled with SSF within the timeline specified below, and (b) enlist their employees within 3 months from the date of their enrollment with SSF.
Timeline for Employer to be Enrolled with SSF
|S.N||Employers by Region (Location)||Timeline (within 3 months from the given date)|
|1||Employers and Outsourcing Companies within Kathmandu Valley||Nov 22, 2018 (Mangshir 6, 2075)|
|2||Employers of Province Number 3 (except Kathmandu Valley)||Dec 1, 2018 (Mangshir 15, 2075)|
|3||Employers of Province Number 1||Dec 16, 2018 (Poush 1, 2075)|
|4||Employers of Gandaki Province and Province Number 5||Dec 30, 2018 (Poush 15, 2075)|
|5||Employers of Karnali and Far western Province||Jan 29, 2019 (Magh 15, 2075)|
5. SSF provides online system for submission of application for the enrollment.
**DISCLAIMER: This document is prepared for general understanding and should not be taken for any legal purpose without consulting legal professionals. ** The copyright of the document is vested with PLA.